Monday 21 May 2012

Breakfast ...

This for me is the biggest challenge. As much as the thought of rice bubbles with rice milk sounds ... well ricey... I don't think I can do it. And I'd like to have some egg free time on this diet starting today. So I'm a little limited.

Which leads me to my next challenge... I googled Asian breakfasts thinking I might have some sort of rice soup with meat and a vegetable or two but instead came across rice pudding. Further searching on dairy free coconut free rice pudding, plus some small amendments of my own and here is my recipe for breakfast for the next couple of days.

Serves 4 (or me several times over)
Ingredients
1-3 tbsp dairy-free spread (nuttlex)
225g write rice (it should be aborio but that's not on my diet)
1 tbsp sugar, or to taste
1-2 litres rice milk
Pear syrup

 Method
In a heavy-based saucepan with a lid, gently melt the dairy-free spread.
Once melted, add the rice and stir to coat. Add the sugar and if you think you're lacking a bit in dairy-free spread, throw in a bit more.
When the rice is gently sizzling, pour in 200-300ml of rice milk and stir.
Cover the pan - make sure the heat is down low, and leave the rice and milk to do its thing for 5 minutes or so.
The rice will gradually start to absorb the rice milk. Stir the mix and add more rice milk over and over again until the rice is tender. The lid will help this process as the rice will steam a little.

When the rice is tender, serve in a bowl, and top with a little pear syrup (recipe to follow later but basically the syrup from tinned pears simmered with a little rich brown sugar).
Recipe was modified from here: http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/special-diet/dairy-free/dairy-free-rice-pudding-recipe

VERDICT: If you like rice, you'll love this. The pear syrup makes it just that little bit better...

No comments:

Post a Comment